Saturday, March 23, 2013

Saturday 9: In the Wee Small Hours

  1. Crazy Sam's (the author of this meme) mom and dad still talk about how exciting it was to see Sinatra in Vegas! What music did/do your parents enjoy?untitled
    * I’ve written before about how I believed that radios only played country music. My eyes were opened when I was in Grade 5; that is when we were allowed to bring records to school to listen to at lunch. I discovered there were bands like KISS, Queen and The Knack… m-m-m-my Sharona! My best friend let me borrow his KISS album. I learned, rather quickly that this was The Devils’ Music… I love it to this day!
  2. We all know Sinatra sang, and he won an Oscar for his acting. But he also painted and was proud to sell a few canvasses anonymously (signed "Artanis"). Do you have a secret talent?
    * I will save my best “secret” talent for my partners (wink). ahem… I knit. scarves
  3. Those close to Sinatra maintained that every time he sang,"In the Wee Small Hours" (video above) he conjured up how it felt to lose his great love. Have you ever had your heart broken?
    * Numerous times… but it’s best to move on and not wallow in it.
  4. In 1966, when he was 50, Sinatra married 21 year old Mia Farrow. Their union lasted less than two years. Do you think a wide age gap necessarily dooms a romantic relationship?
    * If it works for them… who are we to decide? Seriously, why do some people get so bunched up over what OTHER people are doing?
  5. OSU_IconOffstage Sinatra wore orange sweaters and liked seeing orange throw pillows in his home and dressing room because he believed "orange is the happiest color." What color raises your spirits?
    * Orange is definitely a most awesome color.
  6. Frank and his loyal buddies were famously known as "The Rat Pack." How many people do you consider close friends?
    * Four
  7. Sinatra's children followed their father into show business. What advice would you give a young person entering your career of choice?
    * Find your passions and figure out a way to get paid for it. As a social worker, I cannot imagine someone doing this without a passion for helping those who can do nothing in return.
  8. Legend has it that Frank was embarrassed by a scar on his face (received at birth from the forceps used in his delivery) and worked hard to cover it. Do you have a physical characteristic that you try to hide?
    * The list is lengthy.
  9. In 1964, when he first heard The Beatles, Sinatra was very dismissive. By 1970, he called the Beatles' "Something" one of the most beautiful ballads ever. Tell us about something you changed your mind about.
    * In an attempt to conceal my true self, I assumed the role of a church-going, married, republican. I am in a 12-step program now. I tell as many people as possible, “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who matter don’t mind and those who mind don’t matter.

2 comments:

  1. Knitting is a very cool secret talent. Manual dexterity meets creativity. Cool indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right about so much.
    Have a great rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete

He's Guilty!

This has been quite a week for those of us who work with sex offenders and their victims. Bill Cosby; "Americas' Dad", was ...