Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Superstitions

Spo-Reflections posed a question this morning about superstitions.

When it comes to superstitions, I tend to agree with Cubby… I’m not superstitious, I have OCD.

  • Black Eyed Peas – I always prepare a pot of Black Eyed Peas on New Years Day. I do it because my Mom did it and my Grammy did it before her. A few years ago I looked up the correlation between BEP’s and New Years… tradition holds that eating them ensures prosperity in the New Year. Not superstition… tradition.
  • PenniesSee a Penny, pick it up and all the day you’ll have good luck. Although, I’ve heard that you shouldn’t pick up pennies that are ‘tails up’.702545_10151463289398833_1855315821_n I don’t know if this is a superstition, but I know that pennies add up. I’ve always had a coin jar that I throw random coins into (not quarters, those are for laundry). That coin jar has come in handy when I needed a little Mad Money. Again, not superstition… poverty.
  • Alphabetical Order – I have a two bookcases like the one pictured and I’ll probably need to buy a third by the end of the year. I love books; both fiction and non-fiction. I’m not a hoarder, every single one of them is either a book I’ve read and enjoyed and may read again, or is yet to be read. The shelves are divided between fiction and non-fiction; fiction is organized according to the authors’ last name and non-fiction is organized first by topic and then by author. My DVD’s are simply alphabetized. Not superstition… Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
  • The Closet – There are no wire hangers in my closet. Which reminds me, I’m thinking I need to watch Mommy Dearest again, I don’t remember why wire hangers were a bad thing. My closet is organized with the types of clothing hanging together: button down shirts (long and short sleeved), polo shirts, casual shirts and dress, casual and docker slacks. Here’s the thing that has been called weird… all my shirts face the same way. If they aren’t, they must be fixed. Not superstition… ok, again OCD.
  • Grocery Shopping – I arrange my shopping list according to the layout of the particular stores I have at my disposal. I then hit the aisles in order, finishing with the outer edges so the freshest items are left in their refrigerated homes as long as possible. Again, not superstition… organization.

Finally…

  • Knock on Wood – This is the only superstition that I could think of in which I engage. When tempting fate, it’s best to make sure your bases are covered. This practice occurs most on Friday afternoon’s at work when someone observes, “My we’re having a quiet Friday”. This is surely a sign that the speaker is not aware that they are temping fate. For as soon as the words are spoken, the gears begin to turn which will destroy our quiet Friday.

I would be interested in your superstitions. Write your own post and link back here, or write them in the comments section below.

5 comments:

  1. The book shelves are organized by major topic and then alphabetically. I too have two book cases. Both full.

    Then there are books all over the house. It's sort of why I went to ebooks, it was getting to the point where it took too much effort to move the damned books around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something about "real books"... our library sells off surplus books every October. I trade in the ones I've read and don't want to keep and get new ones. The trouble with switching to an e-reader is that it's much less impressive when people come over.

      Delete
  2. I'm OCD, too! The kids' Wii games are in a CD holder and organized in alphabetical order. My DVDs are on a shelf, again, in alphabetical order. I do my grocery shopping the same way you do, too...when I actually go, that is. My husband tends to do most of the grocery shopping...he thinks I impulse-buy too much. My closets are organized the same way, too...when they're organized, that is. My husband tends to fuck up all my hard work, more often than not.

    I, too, "knock on wood", and I also toss salt over my left shoulder when I spill it.

    ReplyDelete

He's Guilty!

This has been quite a week for those of us who work with sex offenders and their victims. Bill Cosby; "Americas' Dad", was ...