Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Blogging Challenge: Stress

** Go HERE for links to previous posts **

I am certain that if Powerball would cooperate, I wouldn’t have stress.

stressOk, I’ll confess… most of my stress comes from avoidance in so many areas of my life. If there is something I have to do, that I don’t really WANT to do. I believe my marriage lasted 15 years because of avoidance of the fact that wedded bliss ended almost 10 years before the life support was actually removed.

The simplest daily manifestation of this phenomenon occurs every morning when my alarm goes off at 6am. You see I don’t WANT to get up that early. I would much rather sleep until 8am. Problem… that is when I need to be at work. I’ll lay there muttering profanity. Then I’ll turn the TV on and watch the news. Then I’ll look through my blog reader. Sometimes I post to this blog. All the while keeping an eye on the clock calculating the absolute latest time I need to get in the shower so I can dress and be to work as close to 8am as possible.

As anyone who knows me can attest I’m terrible at math so I’m usually 5 – 10 minutes late to work… which causes me stress.

Seriously, I am stressed by the timelines which are a key part of my job and the sheer amount of paperwork. As with any job, there are the unexpected events that can send the whole day off the rails and throw those timelines into chaos.

As with most people, I’m also affected by financial stress. Contrary to what the X believes, declaring bankruptcy didn’t leave me flush with cash. It merely cleared the credit obligations that I was saddled with in the divorce making my monthly obligations only those of my own making. That didn’t stop her from seeking and getting an increase in child support just in time for the biggest ‘off the books’ financial obligation of the year… Christmas. With her ‘raise’, I have just enough net income to pay my bills, buy some gas and if I access the food bank, I can feed the kids when they are here.

As of today, I don’t have the funds to get them anything for Christmas… unless Powerball cooperates.

Yes… I’m stressed.

1 comment:

  1. Have faith, John. Breathe deep and believe that it'll all be okay. You're in my prayers. :-)

    ReplyDelete

He's Guilty!

This has been quite a week for those of us who work with sex offenders and their victims. Bill Cosby; "Americas' Dad", was ...